New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Senate passes Patriot Act Extension by dwellingsickness on Dec 22,2005 2:50pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by dwellingsickness at Dec 22,2005 2:50pm
http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2005/12/22/288951.html

Don't know if this is a repost or not,But this kinda sucks

toggletoggle post by HailTheLeaf  at Dec 22,2005 3:02pm
that is so gay...give them another 3 years and they'll the the bill of rights dismatled. At least they've been thwarted in the latest attempt to drill the Arctic Wildlife Refuge. Bastards.

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Dec 22,2005 3:37pm
What sucks? That the govt can do whatever they want in pursuit of the scary commies...wait, er, terrorists? Sometimes I forget that it's 2005 and not 1950.

toggletoggle post by DaveFromTheGrave  at Dec 22,2005 4:10pm
You know, ya figure that current events can't get any gayer when elton john gets married. but NOOOOOOOOOOOO

toggletoggle post by arkquimanthorn at Feb 11,2011 9:57am
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll029.xml

The House just extended it.

the yeas were all republican and the nays were all democrat. broken government? you decide.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 11,2011 10:33am
bollocks, i just read the other day that they had failed to extend it.

toggletoggle post by Slag NLI at Feb 11,2011 10:36am
I believe this is not yet true. I read somewhere that this was just a vote to give the vote more time and to allow a majority vote. The previous vote was a 2/3rds needed which failed to pass.

toggletoggle post by arkquimanthorn at Feb 11,2011 10:40am
hmmm well alright. worth noting ron paul among the 4 republican nays.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Feb 11,2011 10:54am
to quote donald trump "I like ron paul, but he isn't going to be president."

toggletoggle post by burnsy at Feb 11,2011 10:54am
Gotta love how most republicans claim to be the defenders of the constitution and then they approve of this hogswallop. What was the Ben Franklin quote? Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither? hm...

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Feb 11,2011 12:20pm
The Founding Fathers have been rolling in the graves for years now.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Feb 11,2011 12:22pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
The Founding Fathers have been doing barrel rolls in their graves for years now.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 11,2011 1:26pm
i am praying for the day that the zombies of Washington, Jefferson, Adams and Franklin, led by Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson, and Steve McQueen, rise up and slaughter everyone.

toggletoggle post by Drifter  at Feb 11,2011 3:14pm

toggletoggle post by TheRidersofDoom  at Feb 13,2011 10:15am
Mindfuck, all government is corrupt

cast off yo chains

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Feb 13,2011 10:46am
if you aint doin nothing wrong...then who gives a shit if they're watching/listening etc?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Feb 13,2011 10:57am
Coke bust

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Feb 13,2011 11:01am
im breaking the law when i buy it and do it right? no one to blame but myself... the patriot act doesnt pertain to small time drug users though so it's not really a concern anyway. but if it as, i'd deserve it. no one does blow and doesnt know its illegal...

granted im a libertarian and think it should be legal and i should be able to OD if I want but thats a different story.

toggletoggle post by TheRidersofDoom  at Feb 13,2011 5:55pm
you should be able to shoot yourself in the fucking face and not have to worry about your debts being passed on to your family

the only reason the government wont let us kill ourselves is because they need to make money off us and know a lot more people would off themselves is they weren't scared of passing on their debt to family/ afraid of religious bullshit about hell

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Feb 13,2011 6:20pm
Drink an under-the-sink slushie about it, Samson

toggletoggle post by Headbanging Man at Feb 13,2011 6:22pm
AndrewBastard said[orig][quote]
the patriot act doesnt pertain to small time drug users though

The Patriot Act pertains to whatever the fuck Homeland Security and the FBI and state and local cops around the country want it to pertain to...

toggletoggle post by Headbanging Man at Feb 13,2011 6:26pm
Oh yeah, CIA and Pentagon too, though they're not supposed to be involved in domestic affairs.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Feb 13,2011 6:30pm
Headbanging%20Man said[orig][quote]
AndrewBastard said[orig][quote]
the patriot act doesnt pertain to small time drug users though

The Patriot Act pertains to whatever the fuck Homeland Security and the FBI and state and local cops around the country want it to pertain to...

exactly...so um.. NOT small time coke users.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Feb 13,2011 6:30pm
Death to America.

toggletoggle post by Headbanging Man at Feb 13,2011 6:39pm
I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if, when the staties come up short on quotas, they can simply stop by their local fusion center and pull some drug-related calls out of the database to make a few quick busts.

Obviously small fish are always small fish, but the Patriot Act has already been used plenty outside the bounds of "terrorism"... Spying on political dissidents primarily, but also some larger scale drug/organized crime cases, if I remember correctly.

Point is, it's a weapon in the hands of the Feds, generally shared willingly with local authorities, and once you put that kind of weapon in the hands of authoritarians, they WILL abuse it. And have since it's been passed. Any pretense of the weapon being aimed solely at "terrorists" is viewed by the law enforcement community as, at best, a loose suggestion.

toggletoggle post by Headbanging Man at Feb 13,2011 6:56pm
Unfortunately, the well-deserved hype over the Patriot Act has somewhat obscured the ongoing threat of Public Law 107-40, The Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists.

Introduction

Begun and held at the City of Washington on Wednesday, the third day of January, two thousand and one,

Joint Resolution

To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the recent attacks launched against the United States.

Whereas, on September 11, 2001, acts of treacherous violence were committed against the United States and its citizens; and

Whereas, such acts render it both necessary and appropriate that the United States exercise its rights to self-defense and to protect United States citizens both at home and abroad; and

Whereas, in light of the threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States posed by these grave acts of violence; and

Whereas, such acts continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States; and

Whereas, the President has authority under the Constitution to take action to deter and prevent acts of international terrorism against the United States: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

Section 1 - Short Title

This joint resolution may be cited as the 'Authorization for Use of Military Force'.
[edit] Section 2 - Authorization For Use of United States Armed Forces

(a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.

(b) War Powers Resolution Requirements-

(1) SPECIFIC STATUTORY AUTHORIZATION- Consistent with section 8(a)(1) of the War Powers Resolution, the Congress declares that this section is intended to constitute specific statutory authorization within the meaning of section 5(b) of the War Powers Resolution.

(2) APPLICABILITY OF OTHER REQUIREMENTS- Nothing in this resolution supercedes [sic] any requirement of the War Powers Resolution.

Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Vice President of the United States and President of the Senate.

Not only does it allow the President to act as a military dictator as needed, it also gives him the unchecked power to accuse anyone anywhere in the world of complicity in the 9/11 attacks without a shred of proof, and the power to aim the world's largest military at any accusee he comes up with. All he has to do is point and say "Al Qaeda", and bam! We're at war with Afghanistan (/Yemen/Pakistan... /Egypt?/Sudan?/Syria?)...

toggletoggle post by Headbanging Man at Feb 13,2011 7:13pm
If only it were so easy...

AL QAEDA!

AL QAEDA!

AL QAEDA!

AL QAEDA!

AL QAEDA!

AL QAEDA!

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:slacker tracker is watching
[default homepage] [print][8:46:52am Apr 25,2024
load time 0.01527 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]