Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Opeth's setlist? by Retzam on Jul 9,2003 10:36pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Retzam at Jul 9,2003 10:36pm
I read in an interview with Mikael that Opeth were going to be changing around there usual setlist for the imminent US Damnation Tour. Does anybody know what songs are in the new setlist?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 9,2003 10:38pm
well, the other tours where pre-damnation's release so we have yet to hear it in concert. I have a feeling it's going to be 80% songs off damnation and then 20% other songs (like the two accustic tracks on the robitic 7")

toggletoggle post by Retzam at Jul 9,2003 10:42pm
I dont know, I really dont think they will play more than like 3 songs off Damnation. Probably, judging by the band's personal faves and also the fact that some are obviously better than others, Windowpane, Closure, and Hope Leaves.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Jul 9,2003 10:50pm
they better play to bid you farewell. that is my favorite song ever written by humans. (i don't know of any other species that write songs, but whatever)

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 9,2003 10:52pm
possibly, I'm not sure. I was just guessing that they would play mostly acustic stuff.
who knows.

toggletoggle post by Retzam at Jul 9,2003 10:55pm
yea to bid you farewell kicks ass, but to the best of my knowledge they have never played it live.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Jul 9,2003 10:58pm
they MUST play it. it's the best song in the world.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Jul 9,2003 11:00pm
I figured that they would just play the entire damnation album and then leave the stage. It would be nice to see them play a few of the regular opeth mellow tunes and even those 2 acoustic tracks.

Hopefully we're all suprised with something good..

also. Porcupine Tree is playing at the muddy river smokehouse in portsmouth, how fucked up is that. I bet opeth will be in their drinking. fuck why can't I be 21.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 9,2003 11:02pm
shut your mouth. what day are they playing there?
I'm there.
holy shit! I live a 10 minute walk from that place.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 9,2003 11:05pm
shitty, it's this monday july 14th.. and I have a radio show...
and terminally your aborted ghost is playing live on my show.
damn it!

toggletoggle post by Retzam at Jul 9,2003 11:09pm
Naw reverend. they definately wont do that. they will probably play the two songs i mentioned along with a bunch of harder stuff. my guess is that they will open with The Leper Affinity, then play maybe Nectar (in the aforementioned interview mikael said he wanted to play that), then Windowpane, Closure, and Hope Leaves, then Deliverance, then Credance and Bleak, maybe The Drapery Falls and close with A Fair Judgement, then of course for the encore Demon Of The Fall. But that is just an educated guess of course. That's why I started this thread in the first place, to see if anyone else has read up on interviews and browsed setlists and stuff and had any hunches. I heard from a friend that they were going to do a kind of rearranged version of The Night And The Silent Water and also do Face Of Melinda. Frankly, I hope this is true, because those songs both kick ass and i dont think they have ever played either of them live, but I think it is a rumor. They definately wont do all Damnation. I know Mendez would not do that because I read that he didnt like barely any songs off of it. It is Akerfeldt's album really (he wrote all the music and lyrics on it).

toggletoggle post by Retzam at Jul 9,2003 11:10pm
Shit I meant to say the three songs i mentioned not the two songs i mentioned.

toggletoggle post by Retzam at Jul 9,2003 11:11pm
Oh and by the way, since they are touring with Porcupine Tree, I bet Steve Wilson will come out and jam on a few songs.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 9,2003 11:13pm
damn, I'm still shocked that porcupine tree is playing on the same night as my radio show... AND THEY COULD HAVE COME AND PLAYED MY FREAKIG SHOW WHICH IS 10 MILES FROM THAT CLUB!

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 9,2003 11:17pm
Mr. Wilson may.. but they got a fill in keyboardist (Per Wiberg from Spiritual Beggars http://www.spiritualbeggars.com/ ) , but then again who knows.

I would hope they would play older tracks, BUT the rumors that I heard what the set list was going to completely different. I will ask their promotions guy for damnation when he comes online tomorrow.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 9,2003 11:25pm
8pm is mostlikely when it starts, porcupine tree in portsmouth, i mean.

toggletoggle post by Sinistas   at Jul 10,2003 7:25am
Here's some quotes from Mikael, the first from BWBK, the second from Ultimate Metal Australia:

"When we did the tour for Deliverance, we did most of the heavy stuff and I want to give Damnation a proper chance and I want to play all of those songs. We're also gonna try to rehearse stuff like 'To Bid You Farewell' and all that other stuff, do remakes of them and see how they work. It's going to be a joint headline thing. For me, I don't care where we play, as long as we get the same amount of stage time. So I think it's going to be at least an hour and a half each."

"With the ‘Damnation’ tour, we plan to play all the songs from the album, as well as doing remakes of elderly mellow tracks. We’re thinking of doing things like ‘Face Of Melinda’, ‘The Night And The Silent Water’, ‘Harvest’, ‘To Bid You Farewell’ and things like that."

toggletoggle post by Retzam at Jul 10,2003 11:07am
Damn it that sucks. They really shouldnt play all the songs off Damnation. An all mellow concert really wont go over well with the fans. That's really dissapointing. I hope they come to their senses.

toggletoggle post by Sinistas   at Jul 10,2003 12:20pm
Come to their senses? I think it's a very cool thing to do, since their previous tours have featured not-so-varied setlists. Anyways, I doubt they'll be playing anything from Damnation in the future, so you might as well do the whole album while you're promoting it...

toggletoggle post by DYINGMUSE at Jul 10,2003 12:27pm
THATS THE SHOW IN BERKELYRIGHT? I HAVE TICKETS IM STOKED

toggletoggle post by Sinistas   at Jul 10,2003 1:01pm
yes, the show at Berklee

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 10,2003 1:18pm
I'm excited cause I got a photopass so I can take pictures.
the berkely center looks cool. it's and old theatre:

toggletoggle post by Sinistas   at Jul 10,2003 1:35pm
I've got 6th row seats \m/

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Jul 10,2003 6:04pm edited Jul 10,2003 6:12pm
ive got orch C, row R, seat 108...

so i think ill be in the seat right where that picture ends.

Retzam, "they really shoudln't play all the songs off damnation" FU man, Ive seen them play the heavy songs before and thats awesome, but the reason why they are doing this SEPERATE tour for damnation is so they can play all the stuff they won't get to play on the HEAVY tours.
Do you expect to mosh with all those seats around you? I want to hear the entire damnation album, harvest, face of melinda.. This 'mellow' tour will go over well with me as an opeth fan... I woudln't mind one heavy song thrown in just to annoy people who only like the damnation album ;)

toggletoggle post by DeOdiumMortis  at Jul 10,2003 7:10pm
Too poor to go... I'm accepting loan$ ~~bats eyes~~

toggletoggle post by Retzam at Jul 10,2003 9:19pm
I agree with sinistas in that i guess they should do the whole album now since they are probably never going to play anything off of it in the future. However, I have only seen Opeth once and even though I think Damnation kicks ass, I think they should play an equal amount of stuff from each album. I got tickets to the lupos show and the berkeley show so its cool that i get to see them twice, but after this tour, Mikael is taking a few months off and then he wants to work on a side project with steve wilson (I dont know if this will happen but he made it clear that these are his plans in an interview) so this will be the last two times we get to see them for probably no less then a year and a half. Now you might be saying "well, thats what the albums are for", but you guys have probably seen the O multiple times and I have seen them only once, so I would rather hear songs from every album (besides Orchid, because I dont expect them to play anything off that because they are kind of tired of it, much to my dismay). Anyway I would rather them go out with a bang so to speak since they wont be touring again for a while. I hope the do Demon for the encore.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][6:51:29pm Mar 28,2024
load time 0.02203 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]