New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Bush's war on the 1st ammendment continues...again...... by Josh_Martin on Jul 20,2005 4:08pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Jul 20,2005 4:08pm
Bush administration opposes shield for journalists
By Patricia Wilson | July 20, 2005

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration on Wednesday opposed federal legislation to protect journalists from having to reveal confidential sources because it would create "serious impediments" to law enforcement and fighting terrorism.

With a New York Times reporter in jail for refusing to testify before a grand jury probe into the outing of CIA operative Valerie Plame, bills in the Senate and House of Representatives allowing reporters to shield their sources in most cases have gained traction.

But in written testimony provided to a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, U.S. Deputy Attorney General James Comey called the legislation "bad public policy" and warned it would cover "criminal or terrorist organizations that also have media operations ... such as al Qaeda."

"The bill would create serious impediments to the department's ability to effectively enforce the law and fight terrorism," Comey wrote.

Comey did not appear in person, prompting Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California -- and others on the panel -- to call for another hearing to question him about his "rather serious indictment" of the legislation.

Journalists say using anonymous sources is crucial to their work, including exposing government wrongdoing in cases like the Watergate scandal that toppled Richard Nixon's presidency and the printing of the Pentagon Papers on the Vietnam War.

EXHAUST OTHER AVENUES

The proposed legislation would require federal prosecutors and courts to exhaust all other avenues to obtain information before compelling news outlets and journalists to testify or produce documents except in cases of potential harm to national security.

Thirty one states and the District of Columbia have shield laws, but Comey rejected any comparison.

"None of the states deals with classified information in the way that the federal government does and no state is tasked with defending the nation as a whole or conducting international diplomacy," he said.

The bipartisan bills would extend to journalists the same sort of privilege that protects the relationship between husband and wife, priest and penitent, lawyer and client, doctor and patient.

In the most recent high profile case, a federal judge jailed Judith Miller of the New York Times for refusing to disclose her source to prosecutors trying to find out who in the Bush administration leaked Plame's identity to the media.

A parade of media witnesses, lawyers and academics predicted the Plame case would have "a chilling effect" on freedom of the press and said the free flow of information to Americans was under threat.

William Safire, a New York Times columnist, compared Miller to a hostage and said he feared retaliation against her if he spoke out too openly.

"I must not anger or upset those who control her incarceration and who repeatedly threaten to pile on with longer punishment as a criminal unless she betrays her principles as a reporter," he said. "Journalists and reporters are not the fingers at the end of the long arm of the law."

Time Magazine reporter Matthew Cooper, who along with Miller faced jail in the CIA leak case until his source gave him personal permission to testify, said the shield law was not about elevating journalists to "some priestly class."

"Without whistle-blowers who feel they can come forward with a degree of confidence, we might never have known the extent of the Watergate scandal or Enron's deceptions or events that needed to be exposed," Cooper told the committee.

Comey was not at the hearing because he was substituting for Attorney General Alberto Gonzales at a meeting with House Republican leaders on the Patriot Act, a Justice Department spokeswoman said.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 20,2005 4:11pm
wait, was this before or after flipflopping on the whole "CIA LEEK"?

toggletoggle post by BornSoVile   at Jul 20,2005 4:15pm
IMPEACH BUSH, STOP THE LIES AND STOP ASSAULTING THE AMERICAN DREAM.

toggletoggle post by whiskey_weed_and_women  at Jul 20,2005 4:19pm
slowly a police state will take effect.

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Jul 20,2005 4:22pm
Seriously, anyone who believes this is really about fighting terrorism deserves to get killed by terrorists so the intelligence level of the american gene pool can go up.

toggletoggle post by BornSoVile   at Jul 20,2005 4:33pm
I'm lovin the whole Rove thing too! I wonder what people will say about this time in history 30 years from now.

toggletoggle post by whiskey_weed_and_women  at Jul 20,2005 4:33pm
BornSoVile said:
I'm lovin the whole Rove thing too! I wonder what people will say about this time in history 30 years from now.

Josh let's hope there is a 30years from now !

toggletoggle post by yodaslab at Jul 20,2005 4:48pm
IMPEACH BUSH, LETS GET HIM THE FUCK OUT OF OFFICE, HE IS A PROVEN DUMBSHIT WHO LACKS THE ABILITY TO SPEAK THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND HAS FAILED AS LEADER OF THE "GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD." QUITE POSSIBLY HE IS THE WORST OF THE WORST IN TERMS OF DOING HIS JOB, SUCH A DISGRACE TO US ALL.

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Jul 20,2005 4:51pm

toggletoggle post by whiskey_weed_and_women  at Jul 20,2005 4:54pm
anonymous said:

it's awesome to see people taking their role in government officials and policies seriously.

i dont understand how people can just sit on their thumbs and think it's funny to watch it all go to hell.

toggletoggle post by Bradster at Jul 20,2005 5:50pm
BornSoVile said:

they'll look back and think, "man, those liberals sure were wrong, Bush was the best thing for the country"

toggletoggle post by BSV at Jul 20,2005 5:54pm
okay Brad!

toggletoggle post by Bradster at Jul 20,2005 5:56pm
haha

toggletoggle post by tbone_r  at Jul 20,2005 6:34pm

the tissues are useless without a little lubrication

toggletoggle post by BestialOnslaught  at Jul 20,2005 9:17pm
I just hope the Downing Street Memo situation doesn't get lost in the shuffle of Plame-gate... Getting Rove out of there would be a victory for honesty, but really, I think there are impeachments for much of the Cabinet, Defense Dept. and of course the man himself, that would be necessary to restore some integrity to Washington.

toggletoggle post by PatMeebles at Jul 20,2005 10:55pm
"The proposed legislation would require federal prosecutors and courts to exhaust all other avenues to obtain information before compelling news outlets and journalists to testify or produce documents except in cases of potential harm to national security."

The sentiment's nice, but finding backdoors is a politician's specialty.

toggletoggle post by hoser at Jul 21,2005 1:08am
More boring Josh Martin horseshit. Yaaawwwwwnnnnnnnnn.......

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Jul 21,2005 9:44am
Here's Hoser, head in the sand and bent over waiting to get fucked like a good little Christian.

toggletoggle post by hoser at Jul 21,2005 10:02am
Good one......new get a job, hippy.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 21,2005 10:04am
I think it would be absolutely hilarious if jeb bush wins in 2008.
haleluya!

toggletoggle post by hoser at Jul 21,2005 10:05am
By the way....this vote was propogated by your beloved liberal Senate.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 21,2005 10:27am
um... the senate isn't liberal, it's conservative.

toggletoggle post by Jesus_Slaves  at Jul 21,2005 10:32am
because its so much easier to sit and wait for someone to do something all the while bitching about how it needs to change, rather than get up and actually do something about it

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Jul 21,2005 10:43am
hoser said:
By the way....this vote was propogated by your beloved liberal Senate.

Do you ever get tired of being a complete idiot?

Anyways, shouldn't you be in church or something like a good little Republican?

toggletoggle post by hoser at Jul 21,2005 10:45am
Shouldn't you be hopped up on heroin and slobbering all over your rug? Fucking junkie.

toggletoggle post by floating sphere at Jul 21,2005 10:49am
this has nothing to do with protecting Rove. it's possible no crime was even commited. valerie plame had not been working undercover for 6 years. Under federal law the "outting" never happened. It's still being investigated, and this is why Bush will not comment on it right now. Democrats are pushing for the removal of Rove not because they are being protective of the CIA, but rather they view Rove as the "brains behind the republican evil."

Here is an example of an actual outting of an agent, one that the democrats don't care about:

taken from newsmax.com
Sen. John Kerry, who called for Karl Rove to be fired over allegations that he revealed the identity of CIA employee Valerie Plame, outed a genuine undercover CIA agent just this past April - even after the agency asked that his identity be kept secret. Kerry blew the cover of CIA secret operative Fulton Armstrong during confirmation hearings for U.N. ambassador nominee John Bolton. more

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Jul 21,2005 11:04am
hoser said:
Shouldn't you be hopped up on heroin and slobbering all over your rug? Fucking junkie.

I wish. I'm at work.

Good to see you're consistent and still have nothing intelligent to say. I've been told you're a big guy. I hope you can use that to your advantage because your brains are clearly getting you nowhere.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:you are signing your life away
[default homepage] [print][11:01:33am Apr 16,2024
load time 0.01366 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]