New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> NIKE abducts Minor Threat imagery, logo; puts on Skate-Tour by the_taste_of_cigarettes on Jun 24,2005 10:30am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by the_taste_of_cigarettes  at Jun 24,2005 10:30am

http://www.punknews.org/article.php?sid=12949&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Dischord says Nike stole Minor Threat artwork
Contributed by an Anonymous Source, Posted by aubin on Thursday, June 23, 2005 at 7:31:46 PM (EDT)

According to this story, multi-billion dollar shoemaker, Nike has stolen the legendary artwork of hardcore pioneers, Minor Threat. Destined for a campaign called Major Threat, the style and iconic imagery was used for the advertising and done so without the permission of Washington, D.C. based indie Dischord. The label owns the copyright on both the recording and artwork. When asked by Pitchfork, the label had this to say with regards to permission:

No, they stole it and we're not happy about it. Nike is a giant corporation which is attempting to manipulate the alternative skate culture to create an even wider demand for their already ubiquitous brand. Nike represents just about the antithesis of what Dischord stands for and it makes me sick to my stomach to think they are using this explicit imagery to fool kids into thinking that the general ethos of this label, and Minor Threat in particular, can somehow be linked to Nike's mission. It's disgusting.

Dischord is currently evaluating it's options, and you can click Read More to compare the artwork for yourself.

Update: We asked attorney and pastepunk.com editor Jordan Baker if he could give us some of his insight into the situation. Jordan had this to say:

Among the intellectual property rights that are at issue I think it's very clear that Nike has made a derivative work out of Minor Threat's copyright in its cover art. Nike might argue that this is a parody, but I fail to see what kind of social commentary Nike is trying to make in its graphic in relation to the original Minor Threat art, and generally parody is no defense for this kind of commercial appropriation.

(Keep in mind that this is not legal advice and that you should consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that the information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.)

toggletoggle post by Josh_hates_you  at Jun 24,2005 10:37am
i love minor threat. i am going to vomit.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 24,2005 10:43am
fucking chrissssists!

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jun 24,2005 10:56am
wow, that's low...

toggletoggle post by dan_bloodblister at Jun 24,2005 11:23am
powder is gonna be so pissed when he sees this

toggletoggle post by Dissector   at Jun 24,2005 11:38am
So they're making straight edge shoes?

toggletoggle post by KillerKadoogan   at Jun 24,2005 1:38pm

just pretend that little guy on the shoe is ian mackaye

toggletoggle post by KillerKadoogan   at Jun 24,2005 1:39pm
but seriously, fuck nike

toggletoggle post by mOe_RK_nli at Jun 24,2005 2:58pm
wow....just........wow

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 24,2005 4:16pm
dude, that fucked. seriously.

toggletoggle post by hanlon at Jun 24,2005 5:17pm
Who would think that a company built on third world slavery would go so far as to appropriate art? I really can't believe they would go that far.

toggletoggle post by a no no at Jun 24,2005 5:58pm
can't they get away with it since alot of the image is altered from the original?

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Jun 24,2005 8:06pm
Skate or Die, Skate or Die, DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Jun 25,2005 1:34am
Who cares? It's a gay sneaker that fags are going to buy who won't even know who Minor Threat is.

toggletoggle post by infoterror  at Jun 25,2005 10:59am
BUY ASICS

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Jun 25,2005 11:08am
New Balance is where it's at son

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:sign on net, sign off brain
[default homepage] [print][8:45:16am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.01382 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]