New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> danvers state hospital (formally known as danvers lunatic asylum) by frey on Oct 6,2004 8:25pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 6,2004 8:25pm
If anyone reading this post has ever seen "Session 9", then you have seen the great Danvers State Hospital. It was built in 1878, and is scheduled for demolition late 2004/ early 2005. If you have never seen the Danvers State hospital, check it out here www.nmrls.org/enha/exhibit/KirkbrideBuilding_L.jpg
This building is a historical realm, and rather than demolished for some ugly houses by piece of shit land developers, it should be preserved. If you have any interest in saving this beautiful structure sign this petition at
www.petitiononline.com/dsshl/petition.html
Unfortunatley, the light is looking very dim for the Kirkbride building and the other facilities at Danvers State Hospital. But with any hope, Danvers can be saved. Thanks for at least reading this thread.

Darkthrone forever!

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 6,2004 8:52pm
sorry the address to the petition is http://www.petitiononline.com/dssehl/petition.html
I just realized it didn't work. I don't think it matters anyway, cause no ones even viewing my thread.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Oct 6,2004 8:53pm
the best part of that movie was when the camera did an extreme close up of david caruso saying "fuck YOU!"

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 6,2004 8:55pm
Yeah that was hilarious. I like the part when the Scottish guy yells, "Gimme the fuckin' cell phone!"

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Oct 6,2004 8:56pm edited Oct 6,2004 8:56pm
ha, give me the fookin cell phone!

toggletoggle post by attendmyrequiem at Oct 6,2004 8:56pm
dude what's the point of having a shutdown mental hospital in your town.

people think that shit is haunted and it puts a bad name on the town. it makes sense why they're tearing it down.

i want to visit it before they tear that shit down.

toggletoggle post by toc not logged in at Oct 6,2004 8:59pm
do online petitions actually work?

I've never heard of them doing anything...any goof can make one and various people can just put dummy names on it. How legitimate can they be in court, town councils, etc?

Not to sound like the voice of bad reason, I'm just wondering for future reference...I've withheld signing any of these for those reasons.

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 6,2004 9:06pm
Well then you could ask the question why is there one in Worcester, and two in Taunton (although only one is considered a state hospital), and others throughout the state? They hold historic value, those buildings and the property are worth far more than any house built by a greedy land developer. Its gothic style design is absolutley beautiful, and it should be preserved so that generations to come can see (and not forget) Danvers State Hospital. And since when is someone afraid to go to a town due to a building?

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 6,2004 9:10pm
Listen, I never ordered anyone to sign the damn thing, I just put it out there so if anyone that is interested can sign it. I have no idea if online petitions work, but I have an unbelievable obsession with that building. It so evil looking, and ominous. I plan to visit it sometime this month.

toggletoggle post by Iren_the_Viking   at Oct 6,2004 9:25pm
i say tear it down, i hope the blow it up, i want to see an explosion!

toggletoggle post by Dissector   at Oct 6,2004 9:32pm
No those online petitions don't work.

toggletoggle post by KeithMutiny  at Oct 6,2004 9:57pm
i tried to get in it once... also if anyone is interested in that kind of stuff, as well as paranormal hotspots and so on, im currently writing a book on local activity and mysterious happenings, I have been too most in new england and would be more than happy to fill anyone in

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 6,2004 10:14pm
This isn't just another old building crumbling away we're talking about. This building has been recognized by historic building societies across the country, and it shouldn't be touched. It holds importance in American history as well as history in U.S. mental health. Danvers was built in 1878, and was the first institution in the country to use treatment devised in Europe that were very successful. The patients weren't just locked up, they had freedom at Danvers. The building is set up so that none of the wards get in eachothers way of the surrounding scenic views. This was a successful treatment which was used until 1900. The reason they stopped using it was because of overcrowded wards, budget cuts, and electro-shock therapy. It was finally shut down in 1992, after social groups came in and decided they were violating human rights. Since then its programs have been moved to other hospitals still open in the area. But as you can see, it was a pioneer on the fronts of mental health. Destroying this building would be like destroying the Carnegie Steel Factory or another building that holds historical value. I realize the petition isn't much. Its really a last resort for the asylum. But don't you think a building which holds so much value should be treated better?

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Oct 6,2004 10:38pm
I remember whenever my family went to Calitri's near the hospital my dad would scare the shit out of me by telling me that murderers were locked up on the hill.

toggletoggle post by DaveSTF   at Oct 6,2004 11:00pm
I signed it and sent the link to all my friends who go to school down there. Thanks for posting this.

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 6,2004 11:02pm
they certainly were. most of the real dangerous were in the basements of wards a & j. these wards were the furthest from the central building. most of them were sent to bridgewater state hopsital for the criminally insane. also, among the mental patients, there were several retards scattered throughout the buildings. you know, the real deal ones that like slam their heads against walls and stuff.

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 6,2004 11:08pm
that leads me to another complex which is being torn down. the paul A. Dever state school in Taunton Mass. is being torn down next year. it is located behind the miles standish industrial park. It was a school (school is being used VERY loosely here) for violently mentally retarded people. Before it was a retard school, it was a military base in the 1940's and it held Italian prisoners of war. all thats left from the base is a garage whish was convetered in a national guard truck repair facility. the buidings of the Paul A. Dever school were built in the late 40's, and the facility was used until 1997. the facility doesnt hold much significance but its still quite interesting. sometime next year the buildings will be demolished to become part of the miles standish industrial park

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 6,2004 11:10pm
what can i say? i got a knack for this shit

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 6,2004 11:13pm edited Oct 6,2004 11:14pm

toggletoggle post by phantos   at Oct 7,2004 2:23am edited Oct 7,2004 2:25am
I have spent way too much time in that damn building.
I hate to see it go though.
that mother is full of pain and asbestoes... truly.

I also lost a pair of red vans in there... weird.

I was the dollygrip on Session 9.
brutal location.

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 7,2004 11:44am
thats awesome! like i said that place deserves better.

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 7,2004 11:59am
you really cant truly expierience it until you seen up close

toggletoggle post by dan. at Oct 7,2004 12:09pm
they want to build (low cost?) housing. there are bodies buried in unmarked graves and even though they plan to section off the cemetary part and not build...theres no way of knowing where the bodies are buried. you cant just build houses over peoples graves. especially people who were tortured and treated as human lab rats. thats fucked up. it should be mantained by NHS.

toggletoggle post by ram_girl  at Oct 7,2004 12:24pm
I used to go to school at Grafton Job Corp (still there).
Many years before it was Grafton State Hospital (see link below).
There were many abondoned buildings and we could get into them.
We would access the tunnels (areas to transport patients from one building to the nextand shit, underground) and seriously, there was some freaky ass shit (old beds, files, a morgue and all kinds of shit). We could go from one abondoned building to the next or end up at the cafe building staring in through a crack in a locked door.
In the link the 1st building was an admin office, the 2nd was boarded up and we would sneak into it and access the tunnels and the 3rd became the gym.
I was there in 1987 and white kids were the minority. There were mostly black people that called us white kids that listened to metal "satanist" and "devil-worshippers". They would never even think about entering the tunnels (and sometimes walked in opposite directions of an abandoned building). They would say we were going into the buildings to worship the devil and shit (I do belive some people did, due to the graphitti left on some of the walls, hahahaha).
Anyhow, it was a freaky assed place to go to school and this thread (and the photos) just brought memories rushing back into my head!

http://www.1856.org/grafton/grafton.html

toggletoggle post by litacore   at Oct 7,2004 1:17pm
and where do YOU live, Simon?

I live in the weak and the wounded. DOC.

ending of that fuckin' movie still creeps me out

toggletoggle post by dan. at Oct 7,2004 1:27pm
the alternative ending for session 9 was soooo much better

toggletoggle post by Dissector NLI at Oct 7,2004 2:00pm
KeithMutiny said:
i tried to get in it once... also if anyone is interested in that kind of stuff, as well as paranormal hotspots and so on, im currently writing a book on local activity and mysterious happenings, I have been too most in new england and would be more than happy to fill anyone in

Have you been to that statue Gloria? I forget where its located but that has always fascinated me. My brother in law took me there once.

toggletoggle post by sacreligion at Oct 7,2004 2:07pm
the best part of the movie is after the kid sees the first one who dies above the stairway, so everyone cmoes to check it out and there's no one there. the guy who listens to all the tapes throughout the movie then says "i'm gonna go to lunch"

i just think that's fuckin hilarious

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 7,2004 8:07pm
the eye socket lobotomizers. i wanna get one of those

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Oct 7,2004 8:52pm
Has anyone visited Tilton, NH and its massive "Satanic Arch"?

toggletoggle post by sacreligion at Oct 8,2004 4:20am
most of this stuff is urban legend anyway

toggletoggle post by Assuck   at Oct 8,2004 10:22am
my grandfather and uncle both used to work at this place

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 8,2004 10:35pm
not only is danvers a great piece of mental health history, it is also a piece of arcitectural history. danvers holds the late 19th century gothic style and it is an awesome looking building (you know what it is as soon as you see it) these places were not nice places, and the arcitects made sure people knew that by the style of the building. along with the kirkbride building are several other facilities which were built later in the hospital's history. and of course the grounds. the scenic area surrounding danvers is spectacular. in front of ward a is a large meddow of high grass (which from my studies i found was used by patients for having sex). in danvers early days the patients were aloud out on the grounds, they had gardens which they managed and a large farm, which was ran by the patients. the food grown there was brought to the kitchens and cooked for the patients. during dinner patients could socialize amongst eachother and classical music was played to ease their nerves (however, it would be alot cooler if they played metal and all the patients moshed. i would pay a large sum of money to see a bunch of lunatics moshing) as you can see there is so much history behind this great relic, and it would be a shame to see it all come down.

toggletoggle post by frey at Oct 9,2004 8:50pm
oh yea and while im at it I'd just like to add that my black metal solo project Nekro Kvlt, is nearing the completion of its second demo (a hail to lost tyrants) if anyones interested post a reply

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:skynet is always watching protecting you
[default homepage] [print][6:02:57am Apr 24,2024
load time 0.01752 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]