New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by ShadowSD at 2010-06-23 20:37:12
Yes - Bach's Fugues are proof metal existed long, long ago. It is metal on violins and a harpsicord instead of guitars and bass or keyboards, and I'd recommend anybody who likes melodic metal but doubts their interest in Baroque music to listen to any Bach Fugue in a minor key - and prepare to enjoy it. It's quite literally the same thing. All the metal we listen to today ultimately stems from those first beginnings, and metal composition has far more in common with those pieces than with anything in blues or rock n' roll, which its lineage is far more commonly associated with in common parlance.

I also agree that Baroque was the best historical era of music by far, Classical and Romantic got too manically ambitious and just tried too damn hard sometimes, and it seeped through the composition; the feeling of geniuses in a panic trying madly to outdo themselves, a rigidity that went to new heights, and intended subtle changes that became quickly biting and formulaic in the least flattering sense. There was a lot of good stuff in the Classical era but it falls way short of Baroque for those reasons, and the limits set by their presence.

Baroque understood that melody and good chord progressions with familiarity and repetition used appropriately in a give and take of tension and resolution were the heart of great music, and that you didn't have to go nuts unsatisfied with the above equation to come up with a beautiful piece - by nuts I don't mean fast or technical, but rather provoking an odd combination of spastic and predictable in the composition style at times, as Classical and Romantic sometimes did. Predictable is not always a bad thing of course with music, it can either mean familiar in a positive way or predictable in a roll your eyes too obvious feeling way; Baroque always seemed more the former, and Classical/Romantic more prone to the latter.
[default homepage] [print][2:56:36am May 08,2024
load time 0.02123 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]