New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by martins at 2010-02-08 11:20:19
arktouros said[orig][quote]
martins said[orig][quote]
Although, I don't believe that humans as a species were meant to run long distances or persistence hunt. If a person likes to run for sport or for themselves, be my guest.

No...humans have the best endurance in the animal kingdom. Early hunters would need to harass and tire out their prey with constant chasing, projectiles etc. because they couldn't match them with bursts of speed or natural defenses (horns, claws..). Humans are the only species that can continuously run at marathon paces without rest or nourishment. Animals like cheetahs and even whales need to rest every so often across long distances because their muscles essentially shut down. Long distances and persistant hunting is what made us human...is there a reason you don't believe this martins?

Because how do you support long distance running? Muscle glycogen. What do you turn to when you run out of muscle glycogen? Liver glycogen. There goes all your (sugar-based) fuel. Your body starts craving carbs, a commodity in paleolithic times. Fruits were seasonal, vegetables weren't gathered or eaten in modern quantities, and grains were never EVER consumed pre-agriculture. The body does have two mechanisms to make up for this called Ketosis and GlucoNeoGenesis (GNG). Ketosis is a state in which the brain and liver use ketone bodies instead of glucose for fuel. Ketone bodies are made directly from fat stores. GNG is when the body makes glucose from protein. GNG can happen in states of starvation and the protein will come from the muscles or it can happen when excess dietary protein is ingested in the presence of depleted glycogen stores.

Basically, what I'm saying that depleting glycogen stores triggers a state similar to starvation that the body does not like being in. While Ketosis isn't a bad thing (it's actually a natural cure for epilepsy), GNG can cause muscle depletion which is something a paleolithic man would not want happening. He wouldn't be aware of these processes but millions of years of trial and error can tell you a thing or two.
[default homepage] [print][5:56:08am Apr 28,2024
load time 0.01200 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]