New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by norwellbob at 2004-03-19 14:21:44
Sorry... here comes my diatribe.

I hate to bring this up... but I feel compelled to. Eveybody is constantly talking about how many troops we are losing in Iraq. You'll have to forgive me, I don't know the current count off the top of my head but isn't it around 500?

Obviously, I don't want ANY of our soldiers to die. But it's war, and some will have to. 500 is not very many, when you consider that past wars cost tens of thousands.

Also, consider that many of them were the result of accidents. Poor training and equipment perhaps? It's certainly a possibility, when you remember that Clinton spent 8 years slashing military funding. Oh, and didn't I hear something on the tee-vee about John Kerry voting against spending money on better body armor and other equipment?

Partisanship aside, the fact of the matter is this:
GW did not start this war. The first Gulf War NEVER ENDED. Hussein signed a cease-fire agreement, which he ignored and scoffed over and over again. Clinton had a responsibility to take action, but never did. GW inherited this responsibility and, in light of everything else going on in that region (and the terrorist actions worldwide that originated in the Middle East), took action based on more military intelligence than the public will ever be allowed to see. He did the right thing, unequivocally. Hussein had WMD at one point; we know this because he used them on his own people. We had reason to believe that he still had them... compound that with the fact that he threw UN inspectors out, offered no evidence of these WMD's destruction, his defiant posturing... America NEEDED to act.

We don't need France, Germany, or Russia's permission to act on ANYTHING, least of all our own self interest.

There is a lot more going on behind the curtain than the 6 o'clock news is allowed to show you. It's very easy to point fingers and play armchair quarterback, but if you don't know the whole picture, you're probably going to make the wrong call.

One more quick point... this isn't "GW's war" as many of you hep-cats like to call it. Contrary to popular belief, there is not one big red "WAR" button that the president gets to push. It's significantly more complicated than that. Christ, didn't anybody pay attention in social studies?
[default homepage] [print][5:02:26pm Apr 29,2024
load time 0.01119 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]