New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by keynotecompany_nli at 2009-03-25 01:56:14
First of all pay to play and selling tickets is a difference. Paying to play to me is straight up buying onto a show paying x amount of dollers to play with x band. Tickets you are selling to people... assuming you sell them... so it's not pay to play because in theory no money should be coming out of your pocket at any point unless you pay upfront.
I've done shows with tickets and without and never lost more than $50 on a show (still amazes me). If you know where bands should play and what bands draw, then booking shows isn't rocket science. It's exactly as stated earlier if you don't think the bands will draw and the guarantee is huge... DONT BOOK IT. Nobody is forcing anyone to book a band just because they are on x label. Who cares.
As a promoter yes I make money, sometimes a lot of it on some nights. For some people it's a job and that's how it has to be for them. There's more bands than there are places to play and on these touring band shows sometimes bands come to me willing to sell tickets. Why would I refuse guaranteed people/income into a show? I wouldn't. When you do it for a job you can't always risk losing $1000's of dollars a night. Sometimes those 25-100 presales can go a long way.
Also a lot of the bands selling tickets are younger bands. I believe they should sell tickets because they are new to music and they have their friends/family that will come out to see them. It showcases work ethic. Bands I'm not familiar with that sell tickets and get the people out help me out because now I know they can draw. I also tend to book bands
from different areas so ticket sales bring new people into my area. That's not to say I don't promote. Just because I have bands sell tickets doesn't mean I'm not out at other shows meeting people, passing out fliers, seeing new bands, etc. It takes work, but if you work at it you learn what works and what doesn't. Selling tickets is effective to me.
I'm sure people will have a lot to say back to me if they even bother to read it, but there's my 2 years of experience with booking. You can disagree, but I think most people can vouch that I've had solid shows, that are good times.
[default homepage] [print][11:22:44pm Apr 27,2024
load time 0.01103 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]