New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by nekronaut at 2011-05-16 18:23:53
Hornets of the Pogrom
Arghoslent
View all reviews for Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom
Dragonforce with harsh vocals - 0%
I am probably incredibly open-minded for hating this racist crap. Then again, I am also incorrigibly bigoted for hating something "different." At any rate, calling this "Dragonforce with harsh vocals" is certainly an overstatement - you need to slow it down, too.

Like Dragonforce, this is gay. It is puzzling how this band gets called "death metal that is melodic" as opposed to melodeath. From the cheesy melodies to superficial thrashiness, this resembles melodeath more closely than real death metal. At least, Arghoslent does seem to actually emphasize the melodic construction as opposed to rhythmic resolution, but that's hardly a compliment when the melodies are fucking gay. I know it's cliched to call things "fucking cheesy gay crap," but it really applies in this case. This may not exactly be melodeath, but at any rate it is not real death metal. If you haven't listened to this yet, you will have no idea about just how upbeat this is. Even garbage like "Slaughter of the Soul" doesn't come close to being this upbeat. Think of Arch Enemy's "Silverwing" and its childish lead melody in the chorus, and you have reasonable picture about the degree of homosexuality that is at work here. The style, though, is quite different. These melodies sound very Chinese. Now, I have nothing against Chinese classical music, but there are two reasons this is a problem: a) they are played in a gay fashion and b) this is a metal album played with electric guitars. I somehow doubt that they intended the riffs to sound Chinese, but some of the riffs sound like they were lifted up straight from the worst moment of a fifth-rate Chinese opera, without any thought about how to adjust them so that they will fit into a metal context. It sounds comical, in a bad way.

Like Dragonforce, the solos are gay, too. Don't expect any twisted, morbid soloing that real death metal is known for; the solos here are closer to Dragonforce than anything death-metal. Of course, you have to slow Dragonforce solos down, but I already acknowledged the speed issue.

Like Dragonforce, this is superficially catchy. Of course, harsh vocals are a disadvantage in having sing-along choruses, but Arghoslent makes it up with the riffs. This is watered-down music for the crowd. I already hear somebody shouting that this band can't possibly have commercial appeal with its controversial lyrics. Whatever. The possibility of shock tactic aside, that's what the music sounds like, in the end. This is "death metal" for fans of Dragonforce. Like Dragonfoce, this fucking sucks.
[default homepage] [print][5:18:25am Apr 27,2024
load time 0.03712 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]