New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by jay-ganihm at 2004-01-12 20:10:31
joey umbrella said:
im gonna have to school you people. first of all, the difference between a dual and triple rectifier is so insignificant that saying you can tell the difference is retarded. a rectifier is a means of how power is sent throught the amp. there is 2 ways, a tube rectifier (which is spongy and makes it so your power isnt always available, so for like blues and stuff) and then there is silicon diode (which is what marshall, and pretty much everything else has, which is a diode, making power always available, and for anyone playing metal on this site would probably use, unless your brain dead). so now that we know this, the difference between the dual or triple is $150 , for what? for 50 watts no human will ever need (besides discordance axis, because he played 900 watt power amps, which made him deaf and broke up his band) and an extra set of tube rectifiers. the 5150 is an ok amp at best. messy distortion, and built like shit. actually they are made by crate if you must know. and crate is shit(the other guitar player in my band has a blue voodoo, and that amp is subpar). so... marshall are good. thats it. they are made by korg now and have left quality control guidelines. mesa are still made by hand, but if you can find an old 2 channel dual rectifier, that was the shit. the difference here, is that the new 3 channels share the tone between the 3 channels instead of 2, which was the ballsiest sound. thats why when you see a mesa in preamps, such as the line 6 pods, it says like, 94-96. thats what you want. you see them on ebay alot. they are awesome. i know all this because i worked for guitar center fo a year or so, and i got all the real training on the shit. if you have any other questions, ask. thanks

you forgot a bunch if technical differences.
rectification is a fancy word for "making a DC signal out of an AC signal." there are actually 3 ways of achieving this. half wave, full wave, and bridge rectification. all methods use silicon or geranium diodes as the devices of choice. full wave is usually the method used in all guitar amps. when the signal is rectified twice on the motherboard, as it is in a mesa dual rectifier, the signal isn't as clean (free of noise) when it reaches the tube transistors (either FET, or BJT - both containing silicon diodes) for signal amplification, producing inferior tonal qualities, and higher tolerance differences in the quiescent point, in turn sacraficing distortion of the signal (that actually sounds nice.) now, with a triple rectifier the signal is actually cleaner because it is rectified three times before it is outputed from the motherboard to the transistor tubes, giving you a better shot at achieving a quiescent point and driving the tubes into saturation for a better distorted sound, along with richer tonal qualities on each channel. also, i've seen mesa boogies with switchable mosFET/silicon diode tubes. the difference usually isn't audible enough for one to notice, but if you hook up an oscilloscope to the output of the head, you'll notice less noise on the sine wave on a triple rectifier.
[default homepage] [print][4:18:53am May 04,2024
load time 0.00714 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]