New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by blue at 2007-03-14 13:50:42
alright, sorry i took so long. your heart can stop beating so rapidly.

personally, im big on JJ 6L6s in my 5150 II because they can darken up an overly bright amp. I think they would also be a good match for the powerball as well, but don't count out ruby power tubes as well. theyre another really popular tube in the powerball.

two other really popular 6L6s in high gainers are the TADs and SED winged Cs. i just ordered a new set, and it was down to the JJs and the TADs for me because of their tonal relationship to the 5150 II. but the SEDs get fucking CRAZY hype over at the HC forums. i settled on the JJs for me. for you i think you should try either the rubys or the SED winged Cs.

for preamp tubes, a really popular option for high gainers has been tung-sol 12ax7s for their all around musicality. i actually decided to go this route this time as well, as i ordered a tung-sol for the v1 stage and JJs for the rest (to keep the presence of the II at bay). i think a tung-sol 12ax7 would be your best bet as well. you can grab more, but since the v1 stage is where 85% of the preamp tone is shaped, i figured that 1 would be fine (not to mention they're like 4 bucks more a tube).

as far as telefunken and mullards are concerned, to me they are overpriced tubes for overly snobby vintage purists. the telefunkens deserve their praise, but mullards certainly do not.

switching from 6L6 to EL34 is possible, but not always reccomended. you can just swap them out in your dual rec if you wanted (boogies have a swtich in the back that adjusts the bias for the tubes, although a little cold to really get them sizzling), but to go that way in your powerball, youd have to have a pro get at it. IMO though your powerball will be waaaaaaaay better off with 6L6s, it probably wouldnt even sound that much like a powerball without them. rectos however ive heard great things about switching over to EL34 (although ive never tried it).

oh yeah, order from http://dougstubes.com and check out the FAQs there and at http://eurotubes.com if you need to get a little schooling.
[default homepage] [print][2:55:45pm Apr 29,2024
load time 0.00795 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]