New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by the_Network at 2007-02-24 20:27:01
more reviews, more questions!
the_Network

this is_your Pig’s_Portrait

Metal Blade

from
http://www.martlet.ca/view.php?aid=39335

I really wanted to hate this band. The album starts with squelchy yelps from a singer introducing the band who sounds almost exactly like Ben Kowalewicz of Billy Talent.

I had almost turned the CD player off when all of a sudden the gates of Hell opened on my eardrums with “Faith in Lust” and I shut my complaining mouth.

the_Network has perfected the art of balancing merciless musical pummelling with melodic breaks before putting on spiked gauntlets for another 12 rounds. Two singers is the method to the madness that is the_Network. I’ve heard of harmonizing melodies, but these guys harmonize their screams. One takes the high road; the other takes the low road. They’re like two serial killers on a sprawling 16-track murder spree. Sexy.
http://www.martlet.ca/view.php?aid=39335

Another one...
from http://www.metal-mayhem.co.uk/reviews/thenetwork.html
the_Network is another new band to the BlackMarket Activities roster. This five-piece's musical style is most fitting for the label they now call home. The brutal, uncompromising style of technical, grinding hardcore this five-piece plays is in the tradition of label owner, Guy Kozowyk's full-time band THE RED CHORD, DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, and other bands that blur the line between hardcore and grind.

"We are the_Network" introduces the album and the band to the world in true hardcore punk fashion. A punkish bass rhythm slowly fades into the mix with the band chanting "this is art, call it sex..." in a mantra-like fashion that is well-known in the punk universe. Typical, hardcore vocals kick in giving the false impression that this is your average hardcore album. The other vocalist echoes the repeated lyrics with death grunts. The album's opener transitions into blasting grind complete with pummelling bass and drums and buzz saw guitar licks. Technical string manipulations fill in breaks or serve as odd leads juxtaposed onto the grinding chaos.

the_Network repeats this formula of death and hardcore vocal duels and choruses throughout the album, especially during moments when the music drops. Usually, the death vocals carry the fast portions and the hardcore vocals represent the sludgy moments. "Innocent v. State" shows the band's diversity with an acoustic outro and clean, folk rock-type vocals. The words "What if we never wake up, what if we never see the sun" are sung with a sense of longing and despair, but in a subdued manner. These lyrics are repeated in the next track "Prison Letters" but in a metallic setting. The dialectic vocal styles truly represent how compulsively running strong, negative words through your mind can lead from despondency to destruction.

The music created by bands of this style does not inspire me very much. Much of this style seems to jump around too much to create a lasting effect on my brain. After a few minutes of hearing throaty hardcore vocals and squealing guitar harmonics, I find myself seeking the comfort of headache reducers. "the_Network" is not doing anything to differentiate them from the rest of the pack, but their music is enough diversity, intelligent, and catchy parts that I can tolerate it a little longer than most bands of this style.
Darren Cowan

This is my favorite...

http://www.lastfm.co.kr/music/The_Network

[default homepage] [print][7:37:31am Apr 28,2024
load time 0.02669 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]