New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by ShadowSD at 2006-05-15 13:09:11
PatMeebles said:
And who are "all these people" that want to try him in court? ACLU? Ray McGovern? Cynthia McKinney?

The favorite argument of Bush loyalists, marginalize any dissent as extremist.

In reality, though, there are plenty of people from across the political spectrum who want the wiretapping laws examined, many of them conservatives. You say that Republicans only have issues with Hayden's military status and not the eavesdropping, but House Majority Leader Republican John Boehner, among many conservatives in Congress, is focusing on the wiretaps, demanding information on their scope.

According to a recent poll, 53% of the public is against warrantless domestic wiretapping, and conservatives have been some of the most vocal against it:

"It means that we're changing our whole concept of what liberty is. People used to think that they could make a phone call, and the fact that they were doing that and who it was to would be confidential between themselves, and in fact there's a law on the books that says it's supposed to be confidential."- Former Republican Party Chairman Jim Gilmore (MSNBC - Thursday, 5/11)

"You know this program scares the hell out of me... I was always frightened by it. I'd go home to the district, I would complain about it; liberals would agree with me, conservatives would agree with me, but the teeming masses in the middle couldn't care less. Their attitude is simple: if I'm not a member of Al Qaeda, I've got nothing to worry about. And that is a dangerous position to take." - Former Republican Congressman Joe Scarborough (MSNBC - Friday, 5/12)

"I don't care for it at all... it's interesting, though, people are still calling Bush a conservative. Since when are conservatives so willing to trust the government? This stuff stays on the books, its purpose always expands, that's the nature of goverment. We're using it to go after Al Qaeda now, what will it be used for twenty years from now?" - Conservative Commentator Tucker Carlson (MSNBC - Friday, 5/12)

Responding to Carlson on that same program, Scarborough replied: "Just imagine if Bill Clinton tried to pass something like this. Even after 9/11, Republicans would not stand for it." Carlson agreed.

[default homepage] [print][9:44:42am May 19,2024
load time 0.01898 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]