New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by ShadowSD at 2006-03-23 09:54:53
PatMeebles said:
Ok, I'll take your word for it that Powell was laughed at by everyone. Thank you France for giving us the intel and then laughing at us as we try to tell the UN about it. What a douchebag country

Before anyone gorges themselves on freedom fries, I said don't know whether France was among those who laughed or not, it was a wide shot.

PatMeebles said:
I agree it was bad policy in that Iraq lost. Now that we have hindsight and can look at the consequences, we can judge differently. However, if back then you had two countries in which one was literally holding the world hostage due to its control on oil supplies, and its nextdoor neighbor wanted to attack and take out the regime, you could/would make a case for supporting Saddam.

I wouldn't have, no. I have always felt that supporting an aggressor in any conflict villifies us and thus strengthens our enemies, which can lead to us being attacked in the future, and it also gives (or can be perceived as giving) moral justification to a first strike mentality, which can also lead to us being attacked in the future.

We may not like it, but America as a superpower sets the standard for the rest of the world in ways we don't even realize, and this is doubly true after the fall of the USSR and our emergence as the sole superpower. We elect a foreign policy hardliner (Bush), and yet we are surprised when other countries do the same (Iranians electing Ahmedinejad / Palestinians electing HAMAS).

Ultimately, America sets the standard nowadays, and everytime we punch the mirror for mimicking us, we can't change the reflection; we only end up with shards of glass in our hands.

PatMeebles said:
Also, of the first batch of documents, we learn things like Saddam was supporting islamofascists in Southeast Asia (who had strong AQ ties) as late as 2002.

America was supporting Islamofascists with Al-Qaeda ties in Saudia Arabia as late as... well we still are, actually. Such tangential connections prove nothing (unless you want to entertain the idea that the US is backing Al Qaeda because we support Saudia Arabia).

PatMeebles said:
Even if it is the late 90's, this would disproves everything that lefties have said about Iraq not being linked with terrorists at all. Now combine that with documents showing Al Qaeda to be in Iraq as late as 2002

Al-Qaeda was also in the US until 9/11. Why do you not even consider using that evidence to suggest that the US was involved in 9/11? Because it fails the common sense test.

PatMeebles said:
The only thing I disagree with in here is that the American media is riddled with Pro-US propoganda. I wouldn't say that the media goes out of its way to say "Americans are fat and lazy," but there definitely is not an attempt to say that we're better than everyone else.

That's interesting, in this thread there has been a lot said about the stigma of third world countries in our news media, and how only the negative stuff seeps through (I gave a pretty thorough example of Iran earlier). Such uniform negativity being constantly reinforced in the news media about other countries and cultures would itself result in an implicit suggestion of American superiority, don't you think?

[default homepage] [print][9:38:42am Apr 28,2024
load time 0.02528 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]