New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by DrinkHardThrashHard at 2005-10-23 23:52:54
Right, which is what I just said, give them a decade or so and see....

Noone in this thread has said popularity had anything to do with talent, but it has everything to do with bands who are remembered by [x] # of people. Iron Maiden will mostly likely always be more famous than Blind Guardian for the same reason the Stones will be remembered more than the Wallflowers. This doesn't mean it's right, and I certainly don't feel that way.

Aaah....the German power/speed metal scene has not died. No...Blind Guardian has hit bigger in the States than other bands, but Helloween, Primal Fear, Gamma Ray, and a dozen or more others have all perservered, Helloween perservering much longer than Blind Guardian has

Also Maiden NEVER disappeared in the 90s, they simply made an unwelcome choice with their replacement singer and did not tour the US very often. They were still touring Europe and doing festivals. I also realize there is a 10 year difference in the bands, I HAVE been listening to metal since 1979

As far as Maiden's draws, I saw them in 1988 and there were insanely more than 6,000 people. In the 90s and there were more than 6000 people. I saw them with Motorhead in 2003 and there were probably 10,000 at least (probably a lot more). This is all in their non-native country! In the UK festivals...the draw is fucking gigantic...5-10x that amount of people. I agree with Arrowhead that these days they are as huge as ever, but that is partly due to their exposure to a new batch of fans during a metal resurgence here in the States.

Blind Guardian's DVD was recorded in their home country, the power metal capital of the world, where they headlined the Blind Guardian festival. Though they headlined, and were undoubtedly the most popular band there, let's not forget it's a metal festival in Europe, to which 6,000 is actually a small draw (reference Dynamo, Wakken, and the attendance of other festivals), and that they were not the only major band to play: Grave Digger, Primal Fear, Freedom Call, Brainstorm, Rage, Tankard, White Skull, and Subway to Sally, not to mention Soilwork (whose records outsell Blind Guardian in both USA and Europe). Almost all of those bands were performing in their home country too!

However, ArrowHead, I am not sure your estimate is correct, I have seen reviews that claim there were 40,000-50,000 people at the BG Open Air over the two days!!!!!! Who knows, but that sounds closer to what a European metal festival draws. I have seen the DVD once but I can't remember how many people they showed, and can't seem to find a concrete estimate. Did you mean 60,000? Do you have the DVD? Does it say? EDIT: Just checked, looks closer to your estimate, I see estimates of 4,000-10,000 on their forums, from people who attended.

The bottom line is: I WISH I LIVED IN EUROPE!
[default homepage] [print][1:34:23pm May 03,2024
load time 0.02261 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]