New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by DrinkHardThrashHard at 2005-10-23 19:29:03
retzam said:
I gotta disagree with you DHTH. Believe me, I love Dickinson and Halford, I think they're the greatest, but Hansi definitely DOES hold a candle to them. His vocal style is very very dissimilar to them also (not that you said it is similar), and I think this is a sign of, if not originality (I'd say he can be compared very much with Robert Plant), then at least pioneering, since he is the only one I can think of who successfully pulls off a more hard rock style of vocals in a metal genre, although since Imaginations From The Other Side, it seems he's been going more and more metal. But think about it, Hansi isn't just another cheap rip-off of Dickinson and Halford like most metal singers out there. He has a unique style with very little vibrato, a great deal of tremelo (especially of late, and I'm using this word not in the sense of a tremelo bar on a guitar, which doesn't produce a tremelo effect at all), and a wonderfully original and unpredictable sense of harmony.

I love Hansi's vocals also, Retzam, I've been listening to them since 1988, so I totally respect your opinion 100%. But he is not yet a legend like Dickinson or Halford, who can pull up to 50,000 people to a single gig. Blind Guardian might pull 1,000, there were only 700 or so when I saw them on their US tour. Also, when they did what they did, it was original, and that is why they are more famous, and most likely they always will be.

When I made my earlier statement about who is the 'greatest', I was merely referencing who is most known/appreciated at large b/c I thought ArrowHead was claiming those are the most famous singers (and he may not have even meant that).

Many of the singers I listed, namely Warrel Dane, Henning Basse, and the Angra vocalist are NOT cheap ripoffs of Dickinson and Halford. Sure they all have great ranges, but they also have distinct lungs and vocal chords and often different natural inflections due to their native languages. Warrel Dane has a vicious, wavering bite and a psycho demented approach to his vocals that mark him as quite distinct. Henning Basse is an air raid siren made flesh, he can hit higher registers than Dickinson or Halford and generally stays in those higher registers. Etc, etc. Also, if you'd like I can give you some other recommendations of great power metal singers who have a more gruff approach and don't copy the Dickinson/Tate/Halford trio. I assume you've heard Piet's vocals on Iron Savior? Dirty and lower register and not a copy of Hansi. How about Grave Digger's Chris Boltendahl who was doing the dirty German power metal vocals years before Hansi, and before it was called 'power' metal.

Also, have you guys heard Savage Circus yet? The band with the old Blind Guardian drummer, they sound exactly like earlier BG and the vocalist even does a near-perfect mimicry of Hansi intentionally. I think if you like the 3rd, 4th and 5th BG records you will really dig it.
[default homepage] [print][5:47:48pm May 03,2024
load time 0.00861 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]