New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by the taste of cigarettes at 2004-09-19 15:22:13
I was thinking today about the old grind scene boston had. I met a lot of people through that scene who I still know today. Some of them went 'punk' though I suppose you could always say they were punk...the old grind scene was like crust and doom mixed with grind so it was just really filthy kids drinking swill and puking on themselves in shitty, dustry drab warehouse spaces. It was great, though, in that the music still had complexity to it, or at least compostionaly integrity, but wasn't so distant that the average person could not identify with it...it was fast, furious, and chaotic, but noisey enough so that I found a real haven in it.

that scene died, and much like a hyrda, all this other shit sprung up, then more shit, and then more scenes took its place that didn't have the same pizzaz. It made me question whether or not metal really has, in itself, the potential to be as consuming a thing as the punk scene has become over X amount of years...there was a "grind" look and a crowd. I think, honestly, despite my real enjoyment of that time and the shows, that there were cliques and shit that now I'd probably rail against. But still, it happened and it happened over music that people would call Metal - Noothgrush, Chicken Chest & The Birdboys, Astronaut Catastrophe, His Hero Is Gone, Disrupt, etc.

I wonder if those days are gone, and maybe if they are gone for good, maybe it's not the worst thing.

However, part of me misses the ease of doing shows (fuck clubs, we did them in basements), the subculture and community, the friends, and most of all how the music seemed to have a "place" politically and socially.

I agree, the most refreshing thing about modern metal is its WAY WAY less oriented on scene and all that shit -- as far as total geeks can start the most popular metal band and people will like them based almost solely on the music -- but by the same note some of that charisma of going to a show, making new friends, feeling part of something, has faded...
[default homepage] [print][9:25:27am May 11,2024
load time 0.00767 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]