New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by Kalopsia at 2004-09-18 23:34:26
i agree that metal is more music than message, but it's kinda like 51% music, 49% message. because don't forget most metal fans first got into metal for it's messages. for instance rebelling against authority, and saying whatever the fuck you want to say. as far as politicts, i definately don't have a problem with it, and like i said, metal is all about saying whatever the fuck you wanna say.

yea you're right about the tech talk. in my opinion, musically punk rock is so simple that you literally never need to know any music theory to write/play it. but with metal, it helps a shitload. metal is all about being as extreme as you can possibly get. so that means you gotta get better at your instrument, and if you're a berkely graduate, then you can get pretty fuckin extreme on your instrument.

metal can definately be simple, like Jungle Rot for instance. you can't get more simple than them. but metal musicians tend to become perfectionists. i know that i am ALWAYS searching for that "perfect tone" on my bass, and look into new equipment to get that tone. Cannibal Corpse is the only band i know of that admits to writing super technical music because they WANT it to be super technical. i don't think most metal bands TRY to be technical, they just end up being technical. for example, my band Dehumanized. we have some pretty easy songs like Terminal Punishment, and Doomed to Die. but then we also have Infinite Despair which is actually a pretty damned hard song to play. we just write whatever we think works best for the song. if it's hard to play, oh well.

things that are specific to metal as a culture, i don't think should be an issue. i don't think there should be a "Metal Fridays at Denny's" just to prove you're a seperate culture or anything. personally, i think the only thing that makes you "less metal" is by trying to prove just how metal you are. to be true to yourself, is to just be yourself, and not proving yourself to other people. my old singer is a huge fucking poser because he's always trying to prove himself to me. perfect fucking example:

Me: dude i got the new Vital Remains cd last night and i can't stop listening to it. it's so fucking good, go buy it.

Him: dude check it out man i got the new Vital Remains!!! YEA!!!! \m/
Me: how is it?
Him: oh i dont know i haven't listened to it yet, BUT I GOT IT YEA!!!!! \m/
[default homepage] [print][2:24:59am May 11,2024
load time 0.01644 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]